Pages

Tuesday 23 June 2015

Becoming You


We all fear being our true selves. We're guilty at some point in our lives, of editing out who we really are in fear of being disliked or judged.

Becoming who you are meant to be is something only ourselves can define and achieve. Being able to be your true self is something that takes time, experience, risk and lots of trial and error. 

No one is perfect so don't compare yourself to other people. Take influence and advice from those who you aspire too and admire, and make it work for you. 

I'm totally guilty of the above and I'm constantly questioning how I dress, my body, my hair and even my mannerisms (very odd, but I bet you do too)! I know who I would like to be but what I'm realising is that I will be forever working towards becoming that person. As I grow and reach my goals, my ambitions change and therefore my priorities shift.  

When I'm working with my artists, we focus a lot on self development and the kind of artist they want to be or be perceived as. We call it an Alter Ego, an extended more elaborate version of yourself.  However, my theory is that this is the person that they actually want to be most of the time, but feel that in real life they can't. Isn't it ridiculous that we are afraid to be ourselves?! 

A quote I adore from the amazing designer Diane Von Furstenberg is this: "I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I knew the woman I wanted to become". 

The most powerful people in the world have insecurities, they're human, but they are confident, they are themselves and they are unapologetic for it. 
I think if we all tried to be a bit more of that daring, free spirited, outspoken and creative person we want to be the world would be a better place. 

Knowing who you want to be is the start, but becoming who you want to be is the journey, and an exciting one at that.

Here are 5 Things you should do this week to Become More You:

1) Style
Stop looking at other people walking down the street and comparing their style to yours. Instead take a risk and where those high heels to work (or pack them in your bag if you've a stupidly long commute like me), wear the devilish red lipstick or those skinny jeans you've been putting off. You will immediately feel more fabulous and confident with yourself.

2) Lists
Write down a list of 10 things you want to achieve but are too afraid to do because there's some risk involved. Rank each one from 1-10 (1 being low risk & 10 being high risk DANGER DANGER!), now write next to each point, what the risk is. You'll probably see that you've been probably freaking out about nothing, so pick 5 points and do 1 a day, and save the best most exciting for the weekend! 

3) Social Media Break Time
It's time you logged out and logged off! When you take time out from all the social media, you stop looking at the lives of people around you and start focusing on your own life. You will stop feeling guilty for things you haven't managed to do (gym, see friends, eat healthy) and spend that valuable time on yourself.

4) Be Selfish
Do something for you. Take up a hobby, join a gym or that cooking class you've always wanted to do. Don't depend too much on having a companion or friend to go along to things with you, who knows you may make a new friend or two. Being independent is a beautiful thing. You want to go to dinner but all your friends are broke, go on your own, order a glass of wine and chill (/people watch).

5) Mirror Mirror On The Wall...
Stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself..... 
"I am proud of myself. I love myself. I love who I am. I can be anything I want to be. I can do anything I put my mind to and I am capable of achieving greatness."

This may sound all a bit odd, but trust me, it's harder than you think, but feels damn good when you praise yourself once in a while, rather than somebody else.




No comments:

Post a Comment